I whipped off a little post about Coronavirus, basically giving you advice riffing on Rudyard Kipling’s rules for growing up, given in “If”
If you can keep your head, when all about you
Are losing theirs…
Concluding with the advice, “don’t be a fool, don’t panic, and stay healthy.” In short, keep your head and work to control those things that are within your control.
Unfortunately, there is a great deal that is outside of your control.
First, what’s going on? We don’t know. One thing we do know is that we’re being lied to. By everyone.
Now, I’ve very deliberately kept this blog completely away from politics, because writing on politics does not interest me in the least. This is a posture, health and wellness blog, not a political blog.
Do politics have an effect on my core subjects? Of course, but it is outside of my control. I don’t control national health care policies, drug testing policies, food guide policies, regulatory policies, etc. I write about
Those things that are within your control.
And one thing I have found to be true across the decades of my life is; your government is lying to you and there is nothing you can do to stop it. It is in it’s nature, and it is outside your control.
We’re being lied to.
- The Chinese government is lying to us.
- The US government is lying to us.
- The Canadian government is lying to us.
- The WHO is lying to us.
- And so on.
Don’t think we’re being lied to?
- Where did the virus originate; in a cave, or in a laboratory? I can give you people who will swear to both.
- When was the outbreak first detected? The latest I heard was back in December, which contradicts all previous accounts. Someone’s lying, one way or the other.
- What’s the mortality rate? I’ve seen as low as .1% and as high as 3%. That’s a factor of 30.
- What’s the infection rate? One day it’s 0 and the next day Italy is closing schools and gyms. Infection does NOT happen overnight.
- What’s the transmissibility? I’ve seen R 0.5 and R 3.0. Factor of 6.
The answer to all these questions is…We. Don’t. Know.
Now, let’s be charitable and assume that all the contradictory information out there is not because we’re being lied to, it’s because there simply isn’t enough information. As more information is gathered, the story changes.
Okay. We’re not being lied to, we’re just being given incomplete information.
So what? Is there any difference in what you can do with bad information, incomplete information or wrong information?
No. It’s out of your control. And the answer to the questions is…drumroll please…We. Don’t. Know.
So what, then, is within your control?
Oh, were you waiting for me to tell you? How? I don’t know you, so I can’t answer that. I don’t know if you can stock a month’s food. I don’t know if you can afford to take time off work. I don’t know if you can re-arrange your job so that you’re 100% remote. I don’t know if you have kids, or are retired. I don’t know if you’re healthy, or if you have a compromised immune system.
On the other hand, I do know this. Everyone should:
Why? All of these things are critical for your health, which means your immune system. And that, not politics, is what I’m interested in writing about.